April Showers Bring May Flowers, What’s The Best Way To Shower?

Shower Graphic by Dreamstime.

Shower Graphic by Dreamstime.

Hope Nguyen, Staff Writer

In 2022, according to Independent.Co, 57% of people prefer to shower over the 32% who prefer baths.

The average shower in America lasts around 13 minutes. As a country, citizens take around 6.7 showers a week. Most Americans prefer to shower in the morning versus at night. 

Personally, I prefer night showers to morning showers. 

Although I know for some people taking a morning shower wakes them up in the morning, I can’t imagine going to bed with all the day’s dirt, grime, and sweat still on me. Plus it’s one less thing to do in the morning.

On top of that, by showering at night you can sleep in clean sheets. While beds can never 100% be completely clean, night showers will keep it cleaner for longer. Sure, you still sweat in your sleep, but at least you’ll know it’s your sweat and not someone else’s that’s collected on your body throughout the day. Did you know bodies can do that?

Yes, it’s true, throughout the day, your body collects dust, sweat and bacteria into your skin and your hair. It’s why people with allergies should shower at night, since the night rinse will wash off any pollen and allergens that have collected on the skin throughout the day. 

Research from Harvard University shows that showering at night can help for a better night’s sleep, which is important for growing students. Specifically warm showers reduces cortisol, which is something that gets your body into a relaxed state to sleep.

In the perspective of a student, I also find night showers less stressful because I’m not rushing to get ready in the morning, and can take all the time I need. On the other hand however, longer showers mean an increased water bill, so it all depends on your lifestyle.

Most doctors will agree a daily shower is good for most people, but two to three times is also enough. Especially in the winter when your skin is dryer and doesn’t sweat as much. Again however it also depends on your lifestyle. If you’re the athletic type who’s always exercising, perhaps daily showers will work for you. If you’re not, then you probably don’t have to bother so much. 

Dermatologists say that showering more often can help to lessen skin issues such as acne, something many people struggle with. To properly wash my body, I use a loofah to remove the buildup of dead skin cells, as well to keep pores clear. To prevent the spread of bacteria, after you finish showering, rinse it and hang it dry. 

Some people also forget that they don’t have to wash their hair every time they shower. Depending on your hair type, it can either increase or decrease the amount of times you need to wash it per week.

Curly hair tends to need less washing than straight hair does, which is also something to consider. Everybody’s hair is different so you should just pick what works best for you. For me, I have straight hair so I don’t wash it every time I shower. 

The key is to nourish your body in the best way you can. Whether it be by taking night showers or morning showers. People need to take care of their bodies so they can not only look better, but feel better, and smell better! It’s the best way to stay healthy.