FHS Class of 2024 Plans to Strike Back for School Spirit For the 2022-2023 School Year

FHS+class+of+2024+President+Yasmeen+Ashour%2C+during+homecoming+pep+rally.+

Photo by Olivia Johnson

FHS class of 2024 President Yasmeen Ashour, during homecoming pep rally.

Olivia Johnson, Staff Writer

At the end of the 2021-2022 school year, the overall spirit points for each class were announced, and it was deemed that the FHS class of 24’ took third place overall. Throughout the year, there were plenty of opportunities for each class to participate/earn spirit points for their grade in order to win the spirit stick at the end of the year. However, in most of these events, the class of 24’ struggled in gaining those points for their class.

So why is that?

“I feel like [last year] was kind of our freshman year,” said Layla Ginty, the vice president of the class of 24’.

Due to the pandemic, most sophomore students (junior students currently) had never even been inside of the building or had experienced a full school year prior to COVID-19, so they had no idea what to expect when it came to school spirit. Another major factor that played into the class of 2024’s participation was the fact that there were countless amounts of restrictions because of the virus which made it more difficult for students to be excited about school spirit. 

Ginty continues by stating that through social media posts promoting spirit days, the SCA members of the class of 2024 hope to make each student feel comfortable about participating in spirit days and they hope to see more enthusiasm throughout the class. 

Now that the pandemic has come to an end, there has been a huge increase in the amount of participation. The first spirit week of the 2022-2023 school year was in celebration of FHS’ annual homecoming. At the end of the week, during the pep rally, it was announced that the class of 2024 had taken second place for the whole entire week. 

“I am proud of the class and feel like we improved a lot from last year,” said Katie Drapas, the class of 2024’s historian. My goal is to win and for everyone to have a good time.”