Turkey is Not the Thanksgiving Centerpiece at Freedom

What does Thanksgiving mean to Freedom students? What’s their favorite foods on the table?

Graphic created by Sadie Porter

Deleting turkey from Thanksgiving.

Sadie Porter, Writer

It’s apparent that Freedom is home to students across multiple cultures, which means each student has a different Thanksgiving experience.

Thanksgiving has a unique meaning to everyone weather it’s a day to eat your favorite foods, see family, or just relax while you are on break.

“My favorite Thanksgiving food is mashed potatoes, especially if it’s sweet potato,” said Lauren O’Rourke.

O’Rourke said she, “loves how Thanksgiving is a day dedicated to being thankful, as we often forget to appreciate things we’re grateful for.”

This holiday is a great opportunity to life in another perspective. It’s hard to be grateful when a person’s thoughts are clouded with school work, test scores and college applications.

“My favorite Thanksgiving food is honey baked ham. It is a lot better than turkey” said Nayana Raut.

“I love being able to see family and play games together,” Raut said. “Being with everyone feels so special because I barely see some of them during the year.”

Sanjna Rachakonda also did not participate in the turkey tradition.

“My aunt made a vegetarian meatloaf,” Rachakonda said. “It had cornmeal, grains, bell peppers and a lot of other vegetables.”

In Sagara Thapa’s household, they eat Nepali dumplings called momos instead of turkey on Thanksgiving.

The important thing to remember is that Thanksgiving does not just mean turkey, stuffing and cranberry sauce. It isn’t just watching football either. It’s a day for families to get together to celebrate a holiday that brings together everyone and eat a lot of amazing food.

No matter how a person celebrates and what foods are on your Thanksgiving table, it’s obvious that food brings people together.