Celebrating the Underdogs of Freedom Sports

Sunny Panthangi
A collage of different sports teams at FHS.

Why is football more recognized at Freedom than any other sports?

Freedom High School has a number of talented and excellent sports. Football is one of the more well known sports teams at Freedom. Students often wonder why football is a huge deal at FHS, since it is not considered to be one of the schools strong suits.

Friday night football games are known for being the most popular games to attend as they have themes, halftime performances, band performances in the stands to hype spectators and are often the most advocated for. Other reasons include the food, energy in the stadium and occasionally, the game.

Many people who attend football games are there due to all of these attractions that make the game fun. The game itself is only partially a reason for people to come. Freedom football games symbolize the end of a difficult week at school and is a way many students and faculty blow off steam.

When looking at other sports games, they usually do not include the different bells and whistles found at a football game. When all other attractions and performances are taken out, other sports’ games are considered to be more interesting and deserve the same amount of attention as football gets.

During a volleyball game against Osborn Park, the volleyball team played well and as spectators, it was an intriguing and compelling game to watch. This game, like most underappreciated games, did not have the many elements that appeal to people who don’t come for just the game. Still, it deserves more attention and recognition that it is receiving.

The cross country team is another example of an underappreciated sport here at freedom. At a meet at Oatland Plantation, Freedom won approximately 21 medals. When asking students and faculty if they knew about any or all of the medals, I mainly received blank responses due to the lack of advocacy and attention the team got. All Freedom sports consist of students’ energy and time, and for that they deserve much recognition and appreciation.`