Varsity gymnastics flies through first meet

The+Freedom+girls+competing+on+Beam+at+Wednesdays+meet+salute+to+the+judges+before+they+begin.+
The Freedom girls competing on Beam at Wednesday’s meet salute to the judges before they begin.

The Freedom varsity gymnastics team opened the season last Wednesday with a home meet against Broad Run, Heritage, John Champe and Rock Ridge High School. The Freedom gymnasts are the reigning state champions, and they started off the season with a strong win. Coming in first with a team score of 38.225 over Champe, who finished in second place with a score of 35.475, the team secured their first victory.

The whole FHS Gymnastics team huddles and chants together before the meet starts

Sophomore Riley Waldrop took home the gold in the all around with a score of 37.550, followed closely behind her freshman teammates Liliana Gines and Kelly Fangyen with scores of 37.275 and 37.150 respectively.

Junior Savannah Lee takes on the beam. She took home 8th place on beam with a score of 7.950
Junior Savannah Lee takes on the beam. She took home eighth place on beam with a score of 7.950

After Waldrop finishes a strong bars routine, the team rushes the mat to give her a hug.