Make Mini Pecan Pies this Fall!

Mini+pecan+pies+make+for+a+fun+fall+treat%21+
Mini pecan pies make for a fun fall treat!

Pecan pies are a personal favorite, despite the season. In fact, you could say they’re the apple of my pie. However, fall seems to be the only time of the year where I can make pies without getting concerned looks from my family (I baked a pumpkin pie in June. Sue me, mom).

While we are very familiar with apple pie and pumpkin pie, the staples to many Thanksgiving desserts, I think pecan pies deserve a spot on the table. Although I am aware it is not even technically fall yet, the Starbucks pumpkin latte is back so I decided it was as a good time as any to make my favorite type of pie. So, why mini pecan pies? Honestly, there is nothing wrong with a full pecan pie but anything mini looks and tastes better somehow (example: cupcakes > cakes). So, I present to you: mini pecan pies.  Yes, they are vegan so this is great for anyone with a dairy allergy or for anyone who ran out of eggs at home and wants to make a pie.

So, light up a pumpkin-scented candle, turn on FreeForm’s marathon of Halloween movies, and start baking some pie.

INGREDIENTS:

For the filling:

• 2 cups of chopped pecans
  • 1/2 cup of maple syrup
  • 2 tablespoons of vegan butter
  • 1/4 cup of brown or coconut sugar
  • 1 tsp of vanilla extract
  • 1/2 tsp of salt (amount of salt can be decreased if preferred)
  • 1/2 cup of water
  • 2 tbsp of flour

For the piecrust:

• 2 and 1/2 cups of all-purpose flour
  • 1 cup of cold vegan butter
  • 1/2 cup of cold water
  • 2 tsp of sugar
  • 1 tsp of salt

DIRECTIONS:

1. Pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
  2. For the crust:
    1. Add dry ingredients to a food processor.
    2. Once the ingredients are incorporated, add the cold butter until the mixture forms a crumbly texture.
    3. Gradually add ice water until the mixture resembles clumpy clay.
    4. Remove the dough from the food processor and lay it out on a floured surface.
    5. Roll out the dough and create 12 equal-sized circles with either a cookie cutter or a glass cup.
    6. Use a cupcake pan to shape the dough into a mini pie crust. The crust’s height should only be a third or a half of the cupcake pan’s height.
    7. Place the mini pie crusts in the fridge to solidify its shape.
  3. For the filling:
    1. In a large bowl, mix the maple syrup, coconut sugar, and salt until completely combined.
    2. Heat the butter in a saucepan over medium heat.
    3. After the butter has melted, add the flour into the pan and mix. Wait roughly 2 minutes so that the mixture forms a golden brown color to add in the water.
    4. Wait for the mixture to thicken and bubble, which takes between 5-10 minutes.
    5. Add the mixture from step 1 of the filling to the saucepan. Continue to let the mixture thicken for another 10 minutes.
    6. Pour mixture back into the large bowl and let it cool for a few minutes.
    7. Add the vanilla extract and the chopped pecans into the bowl.
  4. Using an ice cream scooper, scoop the filling and place it into the prepared mini pie crusts. Make sure to not add filling all the way to the top of the crust.
  5. Place mini pecan pies into the oven and bake for about 25 minutes or when the crust is golden.
  6. Take them out of the oven after the pies have baked and let them cool for 30 minutes.
  7. Lastly, enjoy!