Freedom Varsity Swim Team Breaks Records

Freshman Kim-Long Nguyen and seniors Jonathan Ung, Gabe Fisher and Alex Shen after breaking the 200 yard medley record. Photo provided by Jonathan Ung.

Freedom High School Varsity Swim Team broke a number of school records this year as they placed at the VHSL Class Five State Championship on Feb. 21.

The event was held at the George Mason Aquatic Center with 38 teams competing. 

Freshman, Kim-Long Nguyen, junior, Nathan Yu and seniors, Alex Shen and Gabe Fisher broke the 200-yard medley with a time of 1:37.30. The highest record was previously set in 2018. This relay also placed seventh at states, earning all-state honors.

Nguyen, Ung, Shen and Fisher also broke the 200-yard freestyle relay at 1:29.77, with the previous record last broken in 2016.

“The experience was kind of surreal,” Ung said. “I remember always looking at the records hoping I would get anywhere close to those records so when I was able to break the record with some of my closest teammates and friends, it was definitely a great feeling.” 

Nguyen also earned all state honors by placing seventh in the 100 yard backstroke with a time of 53.00. The previous record for this event was set in 2018. 

The 100 breast record of nine years was also broken by Yu by 2:04.

“It was unbelievable for me,” Yu said. “I went out fast and everything was burning for the last 15 yards. I could hear the entire team cheering and that gave me the strength to finish strong.”

Junior Jennifer Luong placed third in the 200 individual medley with 2:03.46, as well as fifth in the 100 butterfly with 56.14. 

“Freedom had amazing races,” Luong said. “Four relays made it to states, which is awesome. There was so much hype and support from everyone and Freedom swimmers improved immensely with our swim times as well as a family. I’m really proud of everyone and my swim family for a great season.”

Junior Nathan Yu swimming the 100 breast. Photo taken by Chong Chung.