Hybrid: An Uneasy Return to Normalcy

Sophomore+Finley+Gray+is+seated+in+the+gym+with+a+mask+on+during+class+as+part+of+the+Hybrid+program.+Photo+provided+by+Camille+Desjardins.+
Sophomore Finley Gray is seated in the gym with a mask on during class as part of the Hybrid program. Photo provided by Camille Desjardins.

Recently, Freedom High School officially began hybrid learning, a major milestone in today’s COVID-19 world. Students were given the option to come back into the building and, following the staff’s return, many did just that. However, it didn’t turn out quite the way students had hoped.

“I like hybrid, but it can be really hard because teachers aren’t used to dividing attention between us in the classroom and those at home, which makes it weird having us split,” said junior Caroline Caton.

While some are considering dropping hybrid, others are sticking with it in hopes that they’ll soon be able to come back four days a week. 

“I would like [the four day option] more. There will be more people here at school than there are now and it might feel more normal,” said senior Ethan Forseth.

However, the rapidly changing rules and decisions have made the return to normalcy a lot more difficult and stress-inducing.

“I plan to stay two days hybrid, but I don’t like how the county is constantly changing things; there’s a lack of stability and security in my learning. It’s already been really hard with all the changes [COVID-19] brought and the county isn’t really making it any easier,” junior Madison Rietheimer said. 

Though frustration is understandable, it doesn’t take away the uncertainties. The road back to normalcy is a long one, but patience and understanding on everyone’s part will go a long way in getting there.

Hybrid students will be welcomed back into the building four days a week starting April 20.