Tips and Tricks for Succeeding This School Year

A student completes their homework. Photo by Emily Ruith.

Emily Ruith, Staff Writer

As we’re nearing the point at the beginning of school where tests and projects are being assigned, our study habits might be a little rusty. Grace Slaght, a freshman at the University of Scranton, and Caitlin Aldorisio, a senior at Freedom High School, reflect on their study habits and tips as well as their stress-relieving tricks.  

How to schedule your time effectively

“I keep a running list of all of my assignments in a Google doc and due dates in a Google sheet. I also use my personal calendar to keep track of my activities,” Aldorisio said.

“Go by day and make time for certain things outside of classes, like meetings or going to the library,” Slaght said.

Giving yourself ample time to complete assignments and not overworking yourself can prove to be very beneficial. Other resources you can use to schedule your time are a good academic planner, with room for your schedule, deadlines, monthly and weekly plans, and more. A good place to purchase these types of planners is Papier. You can also use websites such as Notion, which is completely customizable and super helpful.

How to study for tests

Studying for tests, quizzes, and exams can be completely different. Studying different materials like textbooks, websites, and documents can also be different.

“I just take it chapter by chapter and highlight or take notes on the things I don’t understand so I won’t struggle with them later on,” Slaght said.

“I usually take notes on the texts that are harder to understand, so that I can remember them and take out the most important information,” Aldorisio said.  “It also forces me to pay attention. It’s really different depending on the subject and type. For example, I use Quizlet a lot when it comes to memorizing, so I used it for AP Psychology. Other ways I study include reviewing videos, taking and reviewing notes, any practice problems I can find, and studying with friends.”

Another tip could be, if given the notes in class, writing those down in class but not writing on the backs, so that you can go back when you study the different materials given to you and write notes on what you don’t understand or new ideas on that side.

What to do when stressed 

We all get stressed, but how do you cope with it in a healthy way? You can write your feelings down on paper and then toss it or go on a walk to clear your mind as Slaght suggested, or you can listen to music and write down all of your responsibilities in order of priority to make things seem more manageable like Aldorisio offered. Sometimes extracurriculars and jobs can add to the stress, so limiting the number of hours you work or participate in could prove to be less overwhelming.