Technology: How is it Impacting Students and the Classroom?

Addy Welz

The technology that is provided in the classroom. Photo by Addy Welz

Addy Welz, Staff Writer

Freedom High School students spend at least nine hours a day on technology, although some students can have screen time up to 20 hours a day or higher. 

Living in a very wealthy county, every student in Loudoun County gets a Chromebook once they hit third grade. Having this extra piece of technology is very beneficial, but it can also be harmful. 

Having a school Chromebook can allow all students to be able to bring any type of work home to complete all assignments to be prepared for class. This ability is very beneficial for students and teachers to be able to move onto new topics, while having all old assignments turned in.

On the other hand, while at school, students end up on technology all day long. 

“In school, we are constantly on the computer multiple times a day and being taught off of the smart boards, so it takes up the majority of our class time,” said sophomore Caitlin Wagner. 

Teachers and students rely on the technology provided to take notes and get through the class activities, but what happens when students start depending on it too much?

Every time a student has a question, they are more likely to turn to Google instead of asking a teacher for help. Some students also have the mindset of why learn the material if Google is always there. 

“I do check google before I ask my teacher because it is more convenient and a much faster way to get the answers that I need,” Wagner said.