Netflix Removes Popular Fan Favorites

Netflix viewers are saddened over the news of many fan favorites being removed from Netflix in 2021. Photo Illustration: Bailey Elliott

While the new year brings new beginnings and opportunities, Netflix has chosen to leave a variety of shows and movies in 2020. It has been announced that in 2021, Netflix will be removing popular tv series and movies off of it’s streaming service come the new year. This announcement was followed by an uproar of upset fans sad to see their favorites being taken away.

Some of the titles being removed include;

• Gossip Girl (tv series)
  • The Office (tv series)
  • Total Drama (tv series)
  • Mary Poppins Returns (movie)
  • Back to the Future Series (movie series)
  • The Notebook (movie)
  • Pride & Prejudice (movie)
  • How the Grinch Stole Christmas (movie)
  • E.T. (movie)
  • Poltergeist (movie)
  • Jurassic Park Series (movie series)
  • The Interview (movie)
  • The Queen (movie)

Many viewers are saddened by the news of the fan favorites being removed from Netflix’s streaming service, there has been speculation surrounding the reasoning behind the removals of so many titles. It is unclear if it’s for personal reasons meaning that Netflix would rather focus on making original content for full profit rather than spending money on rival companies to buy streaming rights or if it’s just because of contracts ending among certain titles.

No matter the reasoning, it is upsetting to see such classics leave Netflix, however they are not gone for good. Many of the titles being removed can be watched from other streaming services or are available for rent or to buy.