Freedom High School Outdoor Track Season has Officially Started

Boys team brings home first place trophy at Shamrock Invitational

Visva+Murali+participating+in+the+boys+long+jump+at+the+Shamrock+Invitational+hosted+by+Dominion+High+School.+

Photo by Gunnar Baker

Visva Murali participating in the boys’ long jump at the Shamrock Invitational hosted by Dominion High School.

Rachael Phillips, Staff Writer

It’s official! As of Saturday, March 18, the Freedom 2023 outdoor track season has begun. The first meet for the Freedom Eagles was a big success. With a total of 13 schools competing, the Freedom boys took home the first place trophy with a total of 122 points and the girls not far behind in 4th place with 58 points. 

A big congrats going to junior Darrin Gallegos-Perches for placing first in the boys 110 meter hurdles, senior Eric Aviles for winning the boys 1600 and 3200 meter run, senior Visva Murali for winning boys long jump, senior Sunit Bapat for placing first in boys triple jump and senior Michael Baker III for winning the boys discus throw.

As of just the first meet, Michael Baker III has already qualified for states with a 153-7 throw. 

This season on Freedom’s schedule is 13 meets with the most noticeable ones being the home meet which is senior night on March 28th and The Dogwood Track Classic at UVA on May 6. 

“I’m so excited the spring season has started,” said sophomore distance runner Kendra Polomondo. 

It’s now time for shorts, sunny skies, and most importantly, track. 

Support the Freedom Eagles as they compete at their next meet on Saturday, March 25, at Battlefield High School.

Disclaimer: Below is a photo gallery of the Shamrock Invitational hosted by Dominion High School. If you repost any of the following photos, credit the website and the photographer.