Year of the Cav

Virginia+Cavaliers+2019+National+Champions+%28photo+via+UVA+Today.%29+
Virginia Cavaliers 2019 National Champions (photo via UVA Today.)

After the Virginia Cavaliers finished off a historic season on the hardwood, they continued their success to the lacrosse field. UVA men’s lacrosse followed the lead of the men’s basketball team by capping off their season with a National Championship finish. Both teams weren’t considered underdogs, but coming into the tournament they weren’t the favorite to win it all. The previous year on the court UVA was beaten by 16th seed UMBC, a shock to the college basketball world. The men’s lacrosse team suffered a similar fate in the first round losing to Loyola in a close 14-12 game. After both teams having their seasons conclude in the first round, they each came back ready to work to try and meet the end goal of winning a National Championship.

This hard work put in the offseason showed by once again UVA having a one seed in the tournament. In the first round game against Gardner-Webb, the Cavs made quick work against them, silencing the critics and doubters winning the game 71-56. Lacrosse started their playoff run by winning the ACC tournament giving them an automatic qualifier to the NCAA tournament. Just like the basketball team, lacrosse won their first round game with ease.

The Cavs made it to the Sweet 16 and pulling out a close win vs 12th seed Oregon. With this win, they punched their ticket to the Elite 8 in Kentucky. On the lax field, the Cavs pulled out a tough game vs Maryland with a controversial call sending the game into overtime, with UVA eventually winning. Games going into extra time was a common theme for both programs. Basketball went down to the wire with one of the favorites to win it all, Purdue. The Cavs used an offensive surge down the stretch in overtime to win 80-75, this win sent UVA to the Final Four in Minneapolis for the first time since 1984. Back to the lax field, the Cavs used another OT win over Duke to bring them back to the Championship game for the first time since 2011.

Once again UVA came out clutch on the court pulling out a one point win vs Auburn 63-62 propelling themselves to the Championship game against Texas Tech. Lax came in as an under dog against defending National Champions Yale, but seized the moment and played aggressively by taking a lead and never giving it up. UVA and Texas Tech fought in a defensive battle in the first half, but the scoring opened up in the second half with both teams going back and forth scoring at will. At the end of the second half, both teams were tied and needed overtime. The Cavs once again used an offensive surge and fundamental defense to secure a lead and never looked back winning 80-75.