Let Them Eat a French Almond Cake!

French Almond Cake!

With all this new time on students’ hands, many are taking up new hobbies, so I thought that I could share this recipe that has been spread in my family!

The background of this cake is French financiers, which are a smaller and more condensed version of the French almond cake. They are small tea cakes that are eaten in France as a treat. Its distinct name is a reference to the financial market in 19th Century France where financiers were first created in a bakery near the center of Paris, where many financiers could visit. The financier cakes are a crisp golden color and baked in rectangular molds. At their heart, financiers are seen as just edible gold bars, as food resembling precious metals that most likely can’t be subject to additional income taxes in France. 

If you take the time to make this cake, let the Uncaged staff know! We’d love to see how yours turns out!

Recipe: 

Ingredients:

• ¾ cup plain yogurt or Greek yogurt
  • 1 ½ cups granulated sugar
  • 4 large eggs
  • 1 ½ cup all-purpose flour
  • ¾ cup almond flour meal
  • 3 teaspoons baking powder
  • ¾ teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon almond extract
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • ¾ cup canola oil

For the glaze: 

• 1 teaspoon finely grated orange zest
  • 3 tablespoons fresh orange juice
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • ½ teaspoon almond extract
  • ¾ cup powdered sugar (plus more for sprinkling)
  • ½ cup sliced almonds

Instructions:

1. Preheat the oven to 350° F. Spray a 9-inch round cake pan (with at least 2-inch tall sides) with baking spray. Line bottom of the pan with parchment paper and spray parchment paper lightly. Set aside. 
  2. Place almonds in a small baking pan. Spread to a single layer. Bake for 15 minutes or until just beginning to turn pale golden brown, stirring every 5 minutes. Remove from oven and set aside to cool. 
  3. Combine the orange zest, orange juice, powdered sugar and extracts in a small bowl for glaze. Stir with a whisk until smooth. Cover and set aside.
  4. In a large bowl, combine the yogurt, sugar, and eggs, stirring until well blended. 
  5. Add the all-purpose flour, almond flour, baking powder, salt and extracts. Stir to combine. 
  6. Add the oil and stir well. Don’t worry, at first it will separate, but keep stirring till smooth. This might take 2-3 minutes. 
  7. Pour the batter into prepared pan. Bake for 35-45 minutes, until the cake feels springy to the touch in the center and a toothpick or cake tested inserted into the center comes out clean. Cover loosely with foil if getting too brown near the end and the cake is still not done. *Be careful not to over bake. Cool cake on a wire rack for 10 minutes; then turn it out of the pan onto the rack. 
  8. While the cake is still warm, using a pastry brush, gently pat the glaze all over the cake. Just keep going over the cake till the glaze is gone. Some of it will drip off, but most of it will soak in. sprinkle almonds over the top of the cake while glaze is wet and pat gently. Allow cake to cool completely. Sprinkle with powdered sugar and serve. 

Recipe Notes:

*Spray foil lightly with cooking spray or rub with a bit of oil to prevent the cake from sticking to the foil.