Freedom High School and Loudoun County Public Schools starts 2021 with new leadership

Freedom High School principal Dr. Douglas Fulton (left) has accepted a position as the Director of School Administration with LCPS effective Jan. 4. Neelum Chaudhry (right) has been named Freedom High School principal. Fulton photo courtesy of Victor O’Neill Studios. Chaudhry photo courtesy lcps.org.

Freedom High School principal Dr. Douglas Fulton has accepted a position as the Director of School Administration with LCPS effective Jan. 4. Fulton has been at the helm of FHS since the 2012-2013 school year. He accepted the position after serving as assistant principal at Potomac High School. 

Fulton started his educational career in 1985 holding middle and high school teaching positions, along with coaching. After eight years, he will no longer walk through the doors of FHS and greet students and staff.

“I will miss daily interactions with students and teachers,” Fulton said.  “Freedom is such a strong community, and every day I had an opportunity to be around leaders.  In January, it will be the first time in 35 years I will not report to a school building.”

Fulton will work in the department of instruction located at the LCPS administration building. According to Fulton, he will be dealing with, “LCPS and state policies, athletics, activities, discipline, and other issues that impact school leadership from elementary to high school.

As one door closes, another opens, and Fulton is excited about the possibilities.

“I look forward to working with leaders at the division level and the principal leaders in all LCPS schools,” Fulton said.  “I love to look at policy, state administrative code, and legislative code.  The opportunity to ensure we align our policies and practices to effectively serve students and staff is a challenge.  I am excited about the new challenge.”

Assistant principal Neelum Chaudhry has been named interim principal until a permanent principal is named. 

Loudoun County Public Schools superintendent Dr. Eric Williams announced his resignation, and his last day with the county will be Jan. 6. Williams has served as superintendent since July 2014. He accepted a position as superintendent of Clear Creek Independent School District, serving 42,000 students, in Houston, TX. 

The LCPS School Board appointed Dr. Scott Ziegler as interim superintendent while a nationwide search is conducted for Williams’ replacement. Ziegler holds the position of assistant superintendent for human resources and talent development.