Varsity Volleyball Beats Champe with the Support of Masked Fans

Photo taken by Lyndsay Lemmerman

Freedom High School’s varsity volleyball team cheers at the start of a new set. Photograph taken by Lyndsay Lemmerman.

Lyndsay Lemmerman, Staff Writer

On Tuesday Sept. 21, Freedom High school’s varsity volleyball team played against their rival John Champe High School. Freedom won against Champe winning 3 out of the 4 sets.  

This fall season, varsity volleyball has played a mostly undefeated season, so far winning 11 of their games. 

Like all sports, last year due to COVID-19 safety rules sporting events were not allowed to have fans in the stands. Most parents had to watch live streams of games or couldn’t even watch their kids play at all. Volleyball, a sport that relies on loud cheering and chants to keep players motivated and high energy only had their fellow teammates to cheer them on. 

“We just had each other,” said Kaitlyn Sourinhong, a senior at FHS and a member of the varsity team.

Sourinhong’s position is setter and right side hitter. 

With masked spectators, allowed to return to watch to the stands the gym is no longer quiet. Not only are family members watching from the sidelines but the other Freedom volleyball teams are cheering on the varsity team.

“The JV and Freshman teams have really helped cheer us on, and support us,” Sourinhong said. 

Family members in the stands are also glad to be back watching the game. During breaks, some people even stood up and did the “YMCA” dance to the song to pump up the players. This prompted some of the players and other spectators to join in as well.

Last year Freedom’s varsity volleyball team made it all the way to state finals, but lost in the final round. The team may be feeling the pressure to repeat that success this year.

“There’s no pressure, but that’s definitely one of our goals this year, and I think we’re confident that we can make it there again,” Sourinhong said.

To continue to keep up with Freedom varsity volleyball’s journey back to states, go to the Freedom athletics page to see the volleyball schedule.