Rain Rain go away; four cross country meets canceled

Picture of the Great Meadows Invitational course, completely flooded. Picture by Great Meadows Facility

A total of four cross country meets have been canceled this season due to rain. This resulted in multiple meets to be rescheduled and pushed towards the end of the cross country season. The team has had Wednesday and Saturday meets for the last 2 weeks of the season. Due to the cancellations, workouts were added as replacements.

“Our training has luckily been as close to intended as possible so not affected severely,” said Karen Langrock, head cross country coach. “The biggest impact has been on our senior athletes–their last season has kind of been stolen from them since many of our traditional, iconic meets like Oatlands and Octoberfest have been canceled.”

Along with cancellations, the rain has also caused the courses to be very muddy and slippery. 

While two of the canceled Wednesday meets were able to be rescheduled, two of the Saturday meets were not because they require too much coordination and are too large since more than 50 schools were scheduled to attend.

The FHS boys varsity team is sixth and the girls varsity are fifth in the division.

Regular season ended on Oct. 13, and both varsity boys and girls will continue into post season. Districts takes place on Wednesday, Oct. 28, regionals on Oct. 31 and states on Nov. 10.