Acknowledging The Struggles For A Military Child

My sister and I at our dad military retirement ceremony in 2014.
Adellys Mendoza

Many children have grown up with military parents. Military children live their lives like every other child, except there are a few challenges they face due to their parents’ choice to serve the country. Growing up with a military parent involves a lot of moving from state to state or from country to country. Constantly moving welcomes challenges such as making friends and trying to adjust to many different academic systems. 

While in a military family, there is not much stability in where the child may live. The worries about how long we will stay in this country or state. This makes it difficult for these military children to make or keep friends. Sometimes there is the thought of what is the reason to make friends in the first place. Many military children still do try to have a social life even if they are constantly moving.

Many states offer many different academic systems. Some states may be ahead or behind on certain subjects. One state may also teach certain subjects differently compared to other states. Having to adjust to so many different ways of learning can be confusing. There are even times where the child might have not learned a subject due to that state being ahead from the previous one they lived in.

Military children will always find a way to adapt to these changes. Although others should keep in mind that they still face challenges due to their lifestyle. Trying to keep up with a social life and the many different academics is not easy, but for many military children, this is their normal life.