Colorado Football Scores A New Coach

Deion Sanders on the sideline of a spring game at Folsom Field in Boulder, Colorado.
Photo provided by Newsweek.
Deion Sanders on the sideline of a spring game at Folsom Field in Boulder, Colorado. Photo provided by Newsweek.

This college football season has been very different at the University of Colorado at Boulder with the arrival of Deion “Coach Prime” Sanders. The roster takeover that occurred over Colorado’s offseason had everyone talking, especially Sander’s critics. Many people openly said they disapproved of Sander’s approach, of heavily relying on the transfer portal and hoped he would fail. They simply did not want this to become how a college roster was assembled.

During the offseason, Colorado’s football program set records, including the most transfers. Fifty-seven players, who were playing for Colorado on scholarship, transferred out. They also charted unprecedented territory by adding eighty six new players to the roster.

This drew widespread criticism from many, but also was approved by some such as Garrett Dunn-Ford, junior varsity assistant coach because it allows, “players to have the ability to leave if a team isn’t right for them” said Dunn-Ford. 

Despite this turnover Colorado has been able to prove they can compete at a high level, proving their doubters wrong. They exceeded expectations, getting off to a 3-0 start, with wins against Texas Christian University (TCU), Nebraska, and in-state rivals Colorado State University (CSU). 

This fortune quickly changed in a game against number eight ranked Oregon. A game which they lost 42-6, narrowly avoiding a shutout, and following this loss they dropped from number 19 in the rankings to not being ranked. The following week they went up against number five ranked USC. The biggest challenge for Colorado, keeping reigning Heisman winner Caleb Williams under control. Colorado’s defense was unable to hold up and let Williams pass for six touchdowns and gave up one rushing touchdown. The offense was able to keep it close but ultimately lost 48-41.

Despite the loss many people were still impressed with quarterback Shedeur Sanders, Deion Sanders’ son, performance. Completing 30 of 45 passes for 371 yards, four passing touchdowns and one rushing touchdown with an interception. 

There is still faith in Colorado’s football team, as they were only projected to win one game this year and have already won four. Sanders has shown his faith and confidence in the team and you can’t be successful.

“If someone doesn’t believe that they are the best, or at least can be, they never will be,” said Dunn-Ford.

After two heartbreaking losses for Colorado they have realized that they have some areas they need to work on, but they still feel that they can be an elite team soon. It won’t be an immediate turnaround and they will have “ups and downs” said varsity football coach Marcus Mayo, but in a few years Colorado has the chance to be an elite program.

Two people in this process for Colorado are Travis Hunter and Shedeur Sanders. Both players have been having breakout seasons since transferring to Colorado and are setting records as well. Shedeur Sanders broke the school record for most passing yards in a single game with 510 yards in a game against TCU. While Shedeur Sanders has been impressive on offense. Hunter has been succeeding on both offense and defense. Through four games Hunter has fourteen tackles and one interception on defense. On offense Hunter has 29 receptions for 353 yards and two touchdowns. Hunter has been drawing comparisons to his own coach, Deion Sanders, when he was playing at Florida State. Through all of this Hunter has quickly become a fan favorite.

“His [Deion Sanders’] son, Shedeur Sanders has tremendous poise,” said Marcus Mayo, varsity football coach.

The turnaround from last season has been impressive but there is still much work to be done. Many fans remain patient for future success but are enjoying the impressive results through seven weeks of football.

“[Deion Sanders] will be successful,” said Joshua Gadd, assistant varsity football coach.

Even though Colorado has exceeded expectations having won four games when they were projected to win only one, “We must be honest about the situation he took over at CU and understand that it’s going to take some time” Gadd said.