Varsity girls drenched but not defeated

While most students came home from school on April 12 feeling relaxed after weeks of anticipating their spring break, Freedom girls varsity lacrosse players were not going home just yet. After a long drive, they played against Tuscarora High School in rain and downpour and won 17-7.

In the first half of the game, the Freedom girls were winning by eight points. Senior Grace Pelletier scored three goals and assisted three of the other goals scored in the first half of the game. Although they were already experiencing light drizzle for a majority of the game, heavy rain unexpectedly started pouring within the last few minutes.

Despite the rain, the girls gained a point within that amount of time due to sophomore Caroline Angelus scoring an unassisted goal. Tuscarora, on the other hand, scored three out of their seven total goals within the last four minutes of the game. But, it was too late for Tuscarora to catch up since Freedom entered the second half with more than a 10 point lead.

“[Coach DeSomma] stresses the importance of coming out strong at the beginning of the game and always having the physical and mental drive to win,” said junior Grace Catello.

While Catello typically plays on defense, she was given the opportunity to play in midfield during the second half of the game. Freedom girls’ momentum in the first half of the game had paid off, as it gave the team the opportunity to give defensive players a chance to play on offense and try to score.

“With the big lead, we had more room to try different plays and different lineups,” said junior Julia Riley. It let us mix things up and they may not have all been successful but overall we had a really good second half.”