Boys Soccer takes on Briar Woods before States

Freedom Eagles playing against Briar Woods Falcons at Rock Ridge High School

On May 31, Freedom Eagles traveled to Rock Ridge High School to play against the undefeated Briar Woods soccer team. Nathan Mitchell (#7) scored the first goal to start off the game, which made Freedom fans jump from their seats in excitement. Briar had an attempted score soon after, yet was called as an offsides kick, disqualifying the point and causing the audience to boo the refs. Wes Anderson (#7) of Briar Woods scored, making the score even, 1-1. This even score caused the tension to rise, making the players have a game of back and forth attempts, with no scoring.

During the second half, Mitchell attempted a goal yet hit the crossbar, causing it to go over the field and out into the concrete. Briar had tripped many of Freedom’s players repeatedly and vice versa, bringing free kicks to both teams, but both missing. Briar had an attempted shot at the goal, yet Freedom goalie, Jack Sirmenis (#1), blocked the ball with one hand, making it shoot straight up, then catching it. There was an attempted cross by Andrew Strait (#10) to Paul Jasper (#9), who got very close to scoring by attempting a scorpion, yet missed. Strait assisted Mitchell and scored on Briar, to bring the score to 1-2 Freedom. Briar scored with a free kick by Kyle Sullivan (#2), making the score a tie at 2-2.

After two five minute overtime periods, neither of the teams had scored, making it a battle of sudden death. As nobody continued to score with tensions high, it was decided that penalty kicks would be the deciding factor of who wins the game. Chosen players from both teams lined up in the center of the field, and prepared to win the game for their teams. Freedom made the first PK, while Briar missed the shot. Both teams scored the second PK. Briar scored the next PK, and Freedom missed their PK. With one last chance for Freedom to redeem themselves, Briar made their PK and Freedom missed their PK, bringing an end to the game with a win for Briar 3-2.

Boys Freedom Soccer now moves onto the States Tournament in Massaponax against Massaponax High School on June 4.

Briar Woods Falcons: 3-2