Freedom’s Back to Back Lacrosse State Champions Receive Rings

The+team+puts+all+hands+in+for+a+photo+just+after+receiving+the+rings.+Photo+taken+by%3A+Gwen+Novotny+
The team puts all hands in for a photo just after receiving the rings. Photo taken by: Gwen Novotny
Lacrosse state champions stand up right before they receive their new state rings at the football game. Photo taken by Gwen Novotney

The back to back lacrosse state champions received their rings at the second football game of the season on Sept. 7. After their victory over Alee High School for the second time in Richmond, Virginia back in June the team now has a permit way to remember their victory on that day.

“After final receiving our rings, it was so surreal because it was such a good moment that now looking down every time all the memories will come right back,” junior Madeline Heyburn said.

In Feb. of 2019, the team lost half of their players before the season had even started due to seniors graduating. Starting the season off with seven new varsity team members, no one knew what was in store for them.

“Everyone thought we wouldn’t even make it into the champion season after the first couple of games at the beginning of the season, so now being able to have the back to back state title with a brand new team is so rewarding,” junior Lindsey Ahn said.

A special addition to the rings was added after finding their good luck charm. “Volleyball” was engraved into the ring, recalling the volleyball they had found during the regional championship game against Briar Woods High School. After a super tight win over Briar during the regional championship, they advanced to states making the volleyball their lucky charm for the team. They brought the volleyball all the way down to Richmond with them so that it would have the same effect during the state championship and it did.