Nationals Win World Series

Nationals+owner%2C+manager%2C+and+players+celebrate+winning+franchises+first+World+Series.+%28Photo+provided+by+Sports+Illustrated%29+
Nationals owner, manager, and players celebrate winning franchise’s first World Series. (Photo provided by Sports Illustrated)

For the first time since 1933, Washington D.C. has a baseball team in the World Series. Nobody in D.C. would have thought the Nationals would have made it this far- considering they were below 500 in May with a record of 19-31. But they’ve stuck by the motto, “Stay in the fight,” to finish out the regular season with a record of 93-69 and earned a spot in a Wild Card game against the Milwaukee Brewers.

In the Wild Card game, the Nats used a comeback win to beat the Brewers 4-3. At the bottom of the eighth inning Juan Soto hit a single with the bases loaded to bring in the scoring run. This win advanced the Nats to the National League Division Series to face the Los Angeles Dodgers. The Nats were able to win a hard-fought series over the Dodgers 3-2, thanks to a grand slam by Howie Kendrick in the tenth inning bringing in four runs to beat the Dodgers 7-3. Winning this series, prevailed the Nats to face off against the St. Louis Cardinals in the National League Pennant. The Nats made quick work of the Cardinals sweeping them in four games to advance to the World Series against the Houston Astros.

Nationals celebrate advancing to the World Series for the first time in franchise history. (Photo provided by Brad Mills-USA TODAY Sports)

In the first game of the World Series on Oct. 22 the Nats were able to win a tight game over the Astros 5-4. In the second game on Oct. 23 the Nats were able to take a commanding lead over the Astro’s 6-2 in the top of the seventh inning and never looked back winning 12-3. The Nats fell to the Astros in games 3,4, and 5, but were able to win game 6 forcing a game 7 in Houston. In game 7 the Nats were trailing 2-0 in the bottom of the sixth inning, but used a 3 run surge in the top of the seventh inning to take the lead. They scored three more runs in the next two innings to beat the Astros 6-2, winning the World Series.