The Comeback Queens Strike Again

Brenna Haley leaps for the jump ball to start the game against Riverside.

The Freedom Lady Eagles Basketball team played a fierce game against the Riverside Rams on Friday, Jan. 31. The game took place at Riverside High School and featured the Unified Basketball game at halftime.

The game started off with Riverside winning the jump ball, but Freedom scored the first point. Shortly after, Riverside responded with a three-pointer, putting them up in just the few minutes of the game. Both teams had a few turnovers and mistakes with passes, and with both teams applying pressure the first quarter ended with a score was 7-2 Riverside.

In just the first two and a half minutes of the second quarter, the Rams scored another three and then two more baskets while holding Freedom scoreless, making the score 14-2 Riverside. Freedom had numerous scoring opportunities, but shots just weren’t falling. Riverside got a set of free throws, but only made one, and there were suddenly only three and a half minutes left. Freedom senior Brenna Haley scored and brought the game to 15-4.

After a series of baskets from both teams, the first half ended with a score of 23-11, with Riverside on top. At the start of the second half, Eagles freshman Grace Farrar scored, followed by a Rams free throw, but then Farrar responded with a three.

Then, the game started to turn around. With strong efforts by the whole team, lead scorers being Haley, Farrar and junior Anisa Bullock, the Eagles pulled the score back to 32-30. Haley continued to drive to the basket, and was getting continuously fouled. After making multiple free throws with only two minutes left, the score was 32-33 with Freedom up by one. After a series of free throws by Bullock and Haley, the score was 32-35 Freedom. The game ended with a score of 32-38, marking another victory for the Lady Eagles.

The Lady Eagles then went on to win their Senior Night game at home against Rock Ridge 39-26 on Feb. 4.

The team will play again on Monday, Feb. 10, at Woodgrove High School.

All photos by Ava Proehl.