Sam Masters Signs with Lynchburg; Lance Johnson with Randolph-Macon

Coach Charles Alcorn (Left) supporting Sam Masters at his signing. (Photo provided by Sam Masters).

On Feb. 5, two of Freedom’s best athletes had their signing ceremony. Sam Masters committed to the University of Lynchburg’s Track and Field team, and Lance Johnson committed to Randolph-Macon College’s Men’s Basketball team.

Sam Masters is one of the most impressive athletes in the history of Freedom’s Track and Field program. Masters boasts a shot-put best of 48 feet and 1.5 inches, with a discus best of 130 feet 6 inches. He will be joining an amazing program that has 28 Old Dominion Athletic Conference titles in both outdoor and indoor track and field.

“I chose Lynchburg because it really felt like the perfect fit for me,” Masters said. “It had the major I wanted, as well as a great and accomplished throwing team.”

Lance Johnson is a four-year varsity forward for Freedom’s Boys basketball team. He is the most successful player in the history of the program and helped the team get to the state game during the 2018-19 season. Johnson will join the Yellow Jackets, who also compete in the Old Dominion Athletic Conference.

Both athletes had a large amount of family, friends, coaches and teammates come out to support them and celebrate their accomplishments.

“It felt great knowing so many people around me supported such a big decision I made,” Johnson said.