Freedom Volleyball Wins State Semifinals to Advance to the State Final Game

The Freedom Girls Varsity Volleyball team celebrates after winning their third set against Albemarle High School. Photo by Karen Xu

On Tuesday, April 20, the Freedom girls varsity volleyball team played the team from Albemarle High School at home for the state semifinal game. After winning three successive sets against the Albemarle Patriots, the Eagles secured their spot in the state final. This is the first time the Freedom volleyball team has advanced to the finals game in school history. 

Senior Ashley Yoo, who has been a member of the varsity volleyball team for three years, attributes the team’s success in the post season to the losses earlier in the season and the culture of the team.  

“Despite some tough and unexpected losses throughout the season, we remained positive, determined and super eager to come back and redeem ourselves in the postseason,” Yoo said. “After that, something just clicked [and] I think the development of this team and how much this team has grown are really evident on the court. I’m always loving the high energy and intensity of the game, but I love how we all learned to come together during these important moments and to constantly uplift each other.”

Catch the Freedom girls varsity volleyball team in action on Saturday, April 24 at 3 p.m. at home for the state championship game.