A Show to Remember

Freedom’s theater IV students performed their last show of the year, and it was certainly one to remember.  Bob Martin’s and Don McKellar’s “The Drowsy Chaperone,” pays homage to 1920s musicals through the story of an old man, who listens to records to cure his “non-specific sadness.”

As he listens, he is transported into the musical, the actors appearing in his apartment, his living room transformed into a stage. The characters are… interesting, to say the least, consisting of a famous show girl, two gangsters disguising themselves as pastry chefs, a tipsy chaperone, a Latin self-proclaimed “ladies man” and many others.

Rachel Novi, FHS theater teacher, prefaced the show by admitting they hadn’t had much time to rehearse, yet despite this, the performance was extremely entertaining. There were mistakes, yes, (fake mustaches that refused to stay put, and lights that shut off just a little too late) but the actors were extremely committed to their characters, creating some truly hilarious moments.

Lizzy Morales, who played Adolfo, the fore mentioned “ladies man,” had the audience cracking up every time she was on stage. Ethan Van Slyke, whose role was that of a very stressed wedding planner, often came out on roller skates and performed a very impressive tap routine. Many others gave talented performances, and overall, it was definitely a successful show. Much of the cast consisted of seniors who have been in theater since their beginning days at Freedom, and it was obvious how much fun they had with this final hoorah.