Supporting Ukraine: Bringing Awareness to the Invasion of Ukraine

Video+played+in+Ms.+Os+AP+Comp+Gov+class+while+discussing+current+updates+in+Ukraine+and+Russia.+

Photo by Max Villegas

Video played in Ms. O’s AP Comp Gov class while discussing current updates in Ukraine and Russia.

Max Villegas, Staff Writer

On Feb. 24, Ukraine reported the first Russian troops to invade their border with force – as missiles were launched into numerous Ukrainian cities. Thousands of people fled towns and cities, including the capital Kyiv. Highways were backed up, making it almost impossible to flee the city. Vladimir Putin, the Russian President, claims the attacks are a part of a “special operation” that doesn’t intend to harm people. However, Putin’s claim contradicts the terror, blood, and fear Ukraine is currently experiencing. Now, 32 days after the first troops invaded, 10 million Ukrainians have fled their homes due to fear of falling to Russian control.

“I cannot imagine a peaceful ending,” said FHS senior Trevor Krall.

Krall is scared for Ukrainians, especially since he has friends who are Ukrainian or have lived there. For Krall, the War in Ukraine feels close and much more personal, despite living a continent away from the war. Krall mentioned the city, Mariupol, is now isolated and under Russian control. Now, Putin says the shelling will end only if Ukrainian troops surrender to Russian forces.

Senior Sami Kang admitted that she doesn’t know much about the situation, and believes Freedom can improve on its response to the war. The war has been ongoing for five weeks, and clubs like UNICEF or Model have not made any posts about the war.

“I feel like Freedom students should raise more awareness, because I feel like we are not talking about Ukraine that much. I feel like even the media now has been subdued,” said Kang. Freedom has yet to make a move in support of or even in allyship of Ukraine.

Krall suggests donating to Doctors Without Borders, UNICEF, and the Ukrainian Red Cross, which are all reputable organizations.