High School Students Share Book and TV Show Recommendations

Bored and looking for something to do? Fellow high schoolers have your back! Whether you’re a TV person or a devoted bookworm, they’ve got you covered. 

Looking for the next book on your reading list? Hannah Bensley from North Dakota recommends A Man Called Ove by Fredrik Backman.

“It’s […] the best book I’ve ever read,” Bensley said.

It’s a profound story about a grumpy old man (Ove) who everyone in the neighborhood despises. However, there’s a reason for his crankiness, and it’s heartbreaking. Then, a family moves in nearby, and changes his perspective on life forever. Backman’s debut novel has met with much praise, so he has continued writing other books, such as Bear Town, and Anxious People, so if you like A Man Called Ove, you can be sure there’s more where that came from. 

If books don’t itch your media scratch, Nick Werderman from Fairfax has a solution for you. He recommends Designated Survivor, a TV show that can be found on Netflix.

“It’s so good,” Werderman said.

It’s about fictional Tom Kirkman, a member of the Cabinet. Unexpectedly, a disaster at the State of the Union takes out the current president and the other high-ranking officials above him. Kirkman must quickly get used to life in the Oval Office, before chaos consumes the nation. 

So, in this time of great confusion and danger, make sure to take some time to yourself. Curl up with a book. Make yourself a bowl of popcorn and settle in for a new season. Either way, adventure is just one page or button push away.