A Guide to Gift-Giving for this Holiday Season

Personalized gifts under a Christmas tree. Photo taken by Max Villegas.

Max Villegas, Staff Writer

The holiday season is here, and with that comes gift giving. Although it may not be the main focus of the holidays, gift-giving is a popular way people express their love and gratitude for their loved ones. Some people enjoy gift-giving, and truly finding items they think someone will appreciate. However, some people dread finding a gift, because they don’t even know where to start. 

“I think everyone loves homemade treats because there is no monetary value to handmade items and people tend to value time and effort more than money,” said Christine Jang, a senior at Freedom High School. “Oftentimes I gift homemade baked goods, usually banana bread or apple pie (fan favorites), with a handmade card.” 

If baking or homemade items is not a strength, then buying a gift is always an option. 

“To choose what I give someone I usually think about what their hobbies are, what their style is, or what they have been wanting,” said Simone Rao, a junior at FHS.

Although the gift is from a store that anyone could purchase, it’s more personal to curate items that match the recipient’s interests. 

“I think back on past conversations and time I shared with people, remembering personal preferences, such as favorite snacks, music taste, accessories, and/or movies,” Jang said.

Jang’s gift ideas are thoughtful and pay attention to detail, which can make store-bought items feel handpicked. 

If gift giving isn’t your style, but you still want to give something to a friend or family member, consider an activity you both can do together. 

“My favorite holiday activity is putting up the Christmas tree with my whole family,” Rao said.

Although putting up the Christmas tree feels simple, it can be a great way to bond with family members during the holiday season. What matters is the experience you create with the people you care about, which is most likely more meaningful than a gift.

A sentimental gift (either bought or made) is a great way to express your gratitude towards the people you love and care about. 

“Take time to think about what each person will appreciate, cherish, and use! Every individual is different and has impacted your life in different ways. Gift giving is a wonderful way to express gratitude for those who have made you a better person and positively made a difference,” Jang said.